Riding gives people with disabilities opportunities to combine fitness with fun. We teach the basics to being a horseman. This includes care of the horses, grooming, riding disciplines, and interactive activities and games. Individuals with special needs experience the benefits of equine-assisted activities and therapies (EAAT) while building a relationship with their horse. Sunrise provides both individual lessons and group lessons. All lessons are led by or supervised by a registered PATH instructor. Visit www.pathintl.org to learn more about Professional Association of Therapeutic Horsemanship International.
Why Choose EAAT?
- Muscular strength – Riding relaxes, stimulates and develops muscles and can lead to increases in range of motion
- Health and hygiene – Students learn to care for the horse.
- Directionality – Students learn their right from their left.
- Language development – Language used simultaneously with an object, experience or activity enhances learning, also riders learn new and technical vocabulary.
- Sequencing and Multitasking- Riders learn to do things in the correct order, and perform multiple actions simultaneously.
- Fine motor skills- grooming, tacking, and guiding a horse can improve hand-eye coordination and other fine motor skills.
- Self esteem and confidence are improved by accomplishing goals and successfully working as a team with a horse.
- Increased physical stamina through low-impact exercise.
Therapeutic riding can produce dramatic and lasting benefits to riders, and programs are based on the individual needs of the riders.
2023 Session Schedule:
Sunrise, Inc. will offer several ten week sessions throughout 2023. Check back later to find updated schedule or follow us on Facebook.
All riders must complete a Rider Registration Packet before they can begin lessons.
Sunrise, Inc. charges a lesson fee of $35 per lesson, or $350 per 10-week session. We strive to provide EAAT to any rider with a demonstrated need, and offer need-based scholarships to riders. Please contact Sunrise, Inc. if you have any questions about these fees or how to apply for a scholarship.
Please click the donate button and enter your lesson payment amount.