Riding gives people with disabilities opportunities to combine fitness with fun. We teach the basics to being a horseman. This includes care of the horses, grooming, riding disciplines, and interactive activities and games. Individuals with special needs experience the benefits of equine-assisted activities and therapies (EAAT) while building a relationship with their horse. Sunrise provides both individual lessons and group lessons. All lessons are led by or supervised by a registered PATH instructor. Visit www.pathintl.org to learn more about Professional Association of Therapeutic Horsemanship International.
Why Choose EAAT?
- Muscular strength – Riding relaxes, stimulates and develops muscles and can lead to increases in range of motion
- Health and hygiene – Students learn to care for the horse.
- Directionality – Students learn their right from their left.
- Language development – Language used simultaneously with an object, experience or activity enhances learning, also riders learn new and technical vocabulary.
- Sequencing and Multitasking- Riders learn to do things in the correct order, and perform multiple actions simultaneously.
- Fine motor skills- grooming, tacking, and guiding a horse can improve hand-eye coordination and other fine motor skills.
- Self esteem and confidence are improved by accomplishing goals and successfully working as a team with a horse.
- Increased physical stamina through low-impact exercise.
Therapeutic riding can produce dramatic and lasting benefits to riders, and programs are based on the individual needs of the riders.
Sunrise, Inc. will offer several ten week sessions throughout 2022. Check back later to find updated schedule or follow us on Facebook.
All riders must complete a Rider Registration Packet before they can begin lessons.
Sunrise, Inc. charges a lesson fee of $25 per lesson, or $250 per 10-week session. We strive to provide EAAT to any rider with a demonstrated need, and offer need-based scholarships to riders. Please contact Sunrise, Inc. if you have any questions about these fees or how to apply for a scholarship.
Please click the donate button and enter your lesson payment amount.